Community is important. God designed us for relationships — to be edified, encouraged, and held accountable. And friendships among sisters in Christ are necessary. Sometimes, they are the very thing we need to push through, when life has gotten hard. As I prayed about 2016, there were a few things God spoke to my heart. I hope that you will use these as a gauge on how you can be a better friend to others, as well as identifying special friends in your own life.
I like to refer to them as #robbieisms:
1. True friends see you at your worst & still think that you are the BEST.
2. Fake friends are like shadows; they will follow you in the sun & leave you in the dark.
3. Do you ever feel like you aren’t friends with some of your friends? Be cautious of those put in your life as distractions that come to steal, kill, and destroy.
4. Is it easier for you forgive an enemy than your friend?
5. Three things that shouldn’t be broken but often are: friendships, hearts, promises.
6. A strong friendship doesn’t need daily conversations, constant gatherings, or frequent messages to be solid. As long as the friendship lives in the heart, the bond & love & friendship will never part.
7. A true friend knows your weaknesses, yet they never expose it to anyone else. They merely reveal your strengths & encourage you, while you are dealing with your weaknesses.
8. True friends can hear you, even when you are SILENT.
9. Always keep those friends who don’t tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear.
10. Making a friend & maintaining a friendship are two different things.
11. Don’t confuse the people who are always around you with the people who are always there, there is a difference..
12. Don’t let years of friendship blind you to unacceptable behavior, that you have made excuses for all of these years.
Dr. Robbie Furdge is an inspirational leader, pastor, and life coach. She is a graduate of Alcorn State University and founder of the Sound of a Warrior Prayer Ministry. She is a dynamic speaker who has been called “uncut” and “passionate”. Robbie currently serves as the associate pastor of Word of Faith A.W.C. She is married to the phenomenal Dr. Maurice Furdge. She is an associate pastor for Word of Faith A.W.C. in Natchez, Mississippi. She is also a life coach to several NFL Football players.
The Life of a Single Mom is a national organization headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana that focuses on seeing no single mom walk alone. The organization serves more than 50,000 single mothers annually from around the United States and more than 2,000 in Greater Baton Rouge through their support group network, outreach event, educational classes, online communities, and more. For more information, visit www.thelifeofasinglemom.com