The Life of a Single Mom Ministries wants to help you grow your single mom’s ministry or support group in your church! The approximate size for most single mothers’ ministries that we have worked with is about 8 single mothers. Yet, there are 15 million single parents in the United States. Therefore, there is much work to be done! With two out of three single mothers not regularly attending a local church, we need to be strategic about how to find single moms that are not yet connected to our groups and how to grow.
Consider planning a special event. We know that when hosting a special single moms’ event at your church, numbers go up significantly in the single parent ministry. We’ve written extensively on how to host a single mom’s event, how to plan it well, and how to ensure it is successful. (Check out our most recent information on planning a single moms event HERE.)
Ensure the structure of your single moms’ ministry is one that will draw them back. Our organization has worked with hundreds of churches and community groups throughout the United States and we have some many common mistakes on why single moms’ ministries aren’t growing. We’ve written extensively about our findings throughout our website. We put together a training package (pictured above) that pours more than a decade of research, best practices, and techniques that helped our founder, Jennifer Maggio, grow her local single moms’ ministry from 3 single moms to hundreds of single mothers!
Explore places where single moms are likely to be present and advertise there. We have compiled a list of common places, where single mothers can be found. This will help you in advertising your single mom’s support group. (Be sure to have plenty of business cards, postcards, or flyers on hand, so that you can pass them out at these locations! We recommend Vistaprint as an easy and inexpensive place to get such materials!)
We want every single mother in the nation to know she does not walk alone. She has value and purpose. She is seen by God and her family is loved by Him. That said, we want her to know about your support group at your church. So, we hope this list helps you find those precious moms in your community who desperately need to know they are loved, valued, and seen!
- Community groups that focus on youth
- Laundry Mats/Washaterias
- Grocery Stores
- Schools (all ages/all grades)
- Community Centers
- Childcare Centers
- Bus Stops or Public Transportation
- Coffee Shops
- Concerts/Theater Productions/Plays (music, family, etc.)
- Dance Groups or other Extracurricular activities centered around children
- Mall or Shopping Centers
- Hospitals/Clinics/Health Units
- Pregnancy Crisis Clinics
- Sporting Events/Sports Complexes or Fields
- Public Libraries
- Church Bulletin or Pulpit Announcement (We’ve found many single moms don’t know they have a single mom’s ministry at their church! Or they do know, but a simple announcement helps to spearhead them making the plunge to get involved!)
- Gyms or other Public Health Facilities
- Gas Stations
- Dating Sites (Let’s face it whether you love ‘em or hate ‘em, dating sites attract single mothers. Sometimes, there are social media pages that allow for public posting. Or you can purchase a low-cost ad on a dating site for others in the area to know you exist. What better place to talk about dating best-practices with single moms, than in the church?!)
- Post Office
- Consignment Clothing Boutiques or Used Clothing
- Nonprofit Partners – United Way, Volunteers of America, Big Buddy Program, etc.
- Museums and Public Attractions, such as theme parks or fairs
- Community Events
- Job Fairs
- Divorce Attorneys and/or Courthouse
- Child Advocacy Centers, such as CASA or other government-sponsored organizations that focus on safe environments for children
- Local newspaper ad, e.g. Nickle Ad, Community Clippers, Coffee Chat, etc.
- Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.
- The Life of a Single Mom National Map – The Life of a Single Mom Ministries hosts a free national map for churches who have single parent support groups and ministries. We are glad to put any faith-based single mom’s support group on our map, so that other single moms can find you!
- Booths – Public fairs, Events, Sunday service at church, or others. It’s a great way to disseminate information about your single mom’s ministry.
- Single moms! Single moms know where other single moms gather. Use the single moms who are already in your group to brainstorm fresh ideas on finding new moms. Have they invited their friends or family to the support group, yet?
- WIC Offices, Department of Health & Human Services, Governmental Agencies
- Child Support Enforcement office
- Apartment complexes
- Community Calendars/Boards
- Area Summer Camps
- Dollar Stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, etc.)
- Family Reunions
- Employers usually have a break room. Hang flyers there!
- Social Events/Parties
- Nonprofits who do parenting, mother-centric work or focus on at-risk people groups
- OB/GYN Physician Offices
- Newspaper & Radio – Many local media venues are looking for a great story. Solicit your local media avenues to have you on air or simply put your group membership meeting times on their website. (That is always free!)
- Mommy bloggers! Bloggers are a powerful group of people, particularly mothers! Have bloggers in your area write about your ministry (Even if they aren’t single moms themselves, it is likely single moms read their work).
- Other Churches – Teamwork makes the dream work! There are likely area churches in your community that do not host a single mom’s support group, but would love to plug in their single mothers in their church! Have them advertise for you that your church is hosting a single moms support group every Tuesday, if you are open to all single moms. And we hope that you are open to ALL single moms!
- Community Colleges/ Trade Schools/ Traditional Universities
The Life of a Single Mom is a national, faith-based, nonprofit that exists to see that no single mom walks alone. To date, we have worked with more than 1,500 churches & community groups to start or improve a single mom’s support group in cities throughout the U.S. and beyond. We have a large array of books, curriculum, training materials, and online instructional videos to support ministry leaders who lead single moms. Our single mom programs focus on empowering single moms to grow spiritually, emotionally, financially, and parentally through a number of projects including: Single Mom University, Single Moms Across America, the National TLSM Single Moms Conference, and a variety of programs throughout the U.S. For more information, visit www.thelifeofasinglemom.com