I never set out to be an entrepreneur. When I was in college at OU, they never even offered a single class about it. Eleven years after I graduated college the first time, I had two undergraduate degrees, a MBA, and was setting out to be an entrepreneur and had no idea what I was getting myself into. I wish someone would have told me these things.
- Be open to opportunities—don’t be so focused and set on what you want to do that you forget to see other possibilities that are waiting for you. It’s easy to have a goal in mind and have your strategies to reach that goal and not want to veer off course. When you are myopic in your viewpoint, you miss amazing opportunities that could lead you to a bigger path.
- Higher Purpose—you are here for a higher purpose than you even realize. It doesn’t reveal itself all at once. If you saw it from the beginning, you wouldn’t be prepared for it, and you’d run off. It shows itself exactly when it should. You can’t dream your reality big enough
- Don’t Give Up—this sounds so clique, but you’ll have critics, skeptics, and Negative Nancys. Don’t let them get you down. Don’t allow them to deter you in your mission. Sometimes it will be easier to just give up and do something else. DON’T! You are here to create big ripple effects. You’ll have obstacles and challenges, and do whatever it takes to move through them. Some will be easier than others, but don’t stop until you’re past them. You’ll look back astonished at all you can achieve.
- You Are Not Alone—you may feel like you’re the only one going through this, but you’re not. Being a single mom or entrepreneur can be very lonely. Being a single mom and an entrepreneur is one of the loneliest things, so surround yourself with others who get is. Find a tribe of other women who understand your challenges and struggles and are willing to lift you as they climb. You’ll get to where you’re meant to be a lot quicker and happier.
- Have Compassion For Yourself—it’s easy to be critical of ourselves, but you need to find compassion and love for yourself. Give up being perfect or the person you were 10 years ago. You’re not and you will never be, and that’s perfectly fine. You are who you are, and that’s an amazing, fabulous person. Don’t try to be anyone or anything else. Don’t try to please others, but do what is best for you. When you fail, as you will because it’s part of the process, love yourself. In order to succeed, you have to fail. Give yourself a great big giant hug and tell yourself, your next success is around the corner.
Being an entrepreneur takes dedication and passion. If you didn’t have that, you’d give up a lot earlier and do something, anything else. You can do anything you set your mind to do. When things get tough tell yourself, “How can I tell my kids they can be and do anything they want when I’m not doing it myself?” Go after what you want, have faith, and believe in yourself, and you’ll be more amazing than you can imagine.
Jessica is an inspirational mentor to single moms worldwide, an author, a speaker, and founder of social enterprise The Single Mom Movement and The Single Mom Movement Community where single moms get the support, help, and empowerment they need to thrive in life. For more information, please visit www.TheSingleMomMovement.com
The Life of a Single Mom (TLSM) is a 501c3 nonprofit that exists to serve single parents and those who work with single parents. We are fully accredited through a variety of organizations that include high levels of financial accountability and awards for our premiere financial stewardship, including GuideStar, Evangelical Council of Financial Accountability, Great Nonprofits, Chamber of Commerce, LANO, and others.