For more skills in parenting and raising Godly children. Check out Kids and the Single Mom. Tons of tips and resources in this book !
The 5 Simple “Do’s” of Parenting:
1. Have fun with your kids. Get crazy. Relax. Giggle. Enjoy time together. If you are such a rigid, unyielding, disciplinarian, your kids probably hate to see you coming! Enjoy your kiddos.
2. Mean what you say. Don’t be fickle. Kids crave stability. Give it to them. If they know you can be easily manipulated into changing your mind, they will definitely pursue it!
3. Have expectations for your children. Even toddlers can put away toys. Teens can clean their room, vacuum, take out trash, etc. Chores are only part of your expectations. Line out what you expect from them in their academics. Push them to achieve their very best — whatever that may be. Challenge them. Stretch them.
4. Hug them. This is such an easy one, when we have precious toddlers. They are cute and cuddly. But what about when our toddlers turn into sassy-mouthed teens? How often do we hug them? How often do we tell them that we love them, that we’re proud of them? Your kids need no less “atta boys” when they become pre-teens and teens. They need words of affirmation.
5. Write them letters. Whether you choose to give them to your kids now or simply store them for later in life, document their growing pains, accomplishments, and your thoughts. My kids have thoroughly enjoyed going back and reading some of my thoughts of their early years. It tells them you care enough to take the time to do it. Sometimes, it is just easier to write those special thoughts on paper.
Our programs provide solutions to single parent challenges. We are the industry leader in helping churches and communities start or improve a single mom’s support group, ministry, and outreach plan. Our programs focus on helping single moms succeed in finances, parenting, and health & wellness. We serve more than 72,000 single mothers annually and have worked to launch or improve 1,500+ single mom support groups. We are a hub for all things single parent and single parent-ministry related, offering a barrage of resources and services for single moms and those who work with single moms. We are a multi-award winning, fully-accredited 501(c)3 nonprofit that offers in-depth training for those who want to start single moms’ ministries, ongoing coaching, single mom & pastors events, state-of-the-art curriculum, and so much more.